Volunteers are the backbone of Garden State Equality’s grassroots work! There are so many ways to get involved. Want to help out from 9 to 5? Complete the form below to get started, and Garden State Equality will contact you after receiving your form.
Got questions that would be best answered by a human? Email us at Contact@gardenstateequality.org or (973) 509-5428.
Here are some of the projects we need help with.
- Meeting with legislators about the transgender birth certificate reform bill
- Recruiting transgender people that haven’t been able to have their transition-related care covered by health insurance (for future advocacy work on health insurance)
Homelessness/housing campaign (which impact the above groups)
Research on LGBT-sensitivity policies in NJ’s prisons and jails
Research on resources that NJ government provides to homeless services – search of NJ statutes, regulations, court decisions that impact homeless services (including affordable housing)
Research on housing programs for homeless/at-risk NJ residents – locations, administrators, contact info
Broader health care outreach
- Research on health care services (hospitals, clinics, etc) in NJ and their LGBT cultural competency
- Researching how we can do better ally work with various communities around NJ
- Researching LGBT resources (in general) in a specific part of the state where we haven’t traditionally had a lot of contact
- Culling information from our membership database
- Data entry into our membership database
- Phone banking for fundraising
We also are happy to talk with you more deeply about what you want to focus on, if that’s not on this list. Email us at Contact@gardenstateequality.org or (973) 509-5428.
GARDEN STATE EQUALITY SUMMER INTERNSHIP
Garden State Equality is seeking part-time or full-time interns(s) to work on outreach, communications, organizing, and operations related items. Garden State Equality is New Jersey’s largest civil rights organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Train and lead volunteers
- Research prospective donors
- Assist in maintaining donor and contributions database and spreadsheets
- Assist with fundraising and donor prospecting events as needed
- Assist with the development, research, writing, and editing of social media digital content.
- Special projects as needed
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES DESIRED
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting LGBT equality and civil rights
- Prior experience working on field campaigns and party committees or progressive non-profits helpful, but not required
- Strong and demonstrated computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office suite, (especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and prior video editing experience is helpful, but not required
- Well-versed in internet research, with a solid understanding of social media
- Solid verbal, written, research and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills with keen attention to detail
- Sense of humor, ability to have fun, and an interest in working within a high-performing team environment
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume and indicate if seeking academic credit to Kayvon Paul Paul@GardenStateEquality.org
*Travel stipend may be available
*This internship may qualify for academic consideration