Often the LGBTQ movement overlooks and erases the narratives and contributions of queer and trans people of color who remain in the shadows. Garden State Equality is inviting Queer and Trans Youth of Color to come “Out of the Shade” by submitting stories, poems and prose about you, your lives and your communities.
Out of the Shade Guidelines:
- Young people ages 14 through 24 who identify as both a member of the LGBTQ+ community AND as a person of color are invited to contribute.
- Submissions may be of any literary genre including but not limited to fiction, non-fiction, poetry, memoirs, essays, romance, fantasy, mystery, satire, etc. Subject matter is open to self-discovery, intersectionality, challenges, identities, love and relationships, family, experiences, dreams, coming out, etc.
- All submissions must be typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman size 12-point font with 1-inch top/bottom margins and 1 left/right margins.
- Submissions should be no more than 10 pages long.
- Submissions must be emailed to contact@GardenStateEquality.org with “Out of the Shade Submission” in the subject line
- All submissions must be accompanied with an entry form http://bit.ly/OutOfTheShade using the same email you used to send in your submission.
- All submissions will be considered for inclusion in a published anthology.
- Selected entries will be included for publication in an anthology, though excerpts from all entries will be included on the Garden State Equality website.
- Any submission that endorses or promotes hate rhetoric will be disqualified from the project.
The deadline for submissions has been extended to Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 11:59pm
- February 29, 2020 at 11:59pm – 11:59pm