This is huge:
Starting today, we’re kicking off LGBTQ-inclusive curriculum in twelve New Jersey public schools who are participating in our new curriculum pilot program.
Over the last year, our team has been hard at work developing a robust set of lesson plans that will teach the next generation of youth about the political, social, and economic contributions of LGBTQ people. And this isn’t just history class: we’ve developed lessons that promote inclusion across all relevant subject areas.
Our pilot program begins today and will last until the end of the current school year. We’re also providing each school with professional development trainings, parent education workshops, and a curriculum coach to support them over the next six months. The following twelve schools will be participating:
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School in Asbury Park
- Forrestdale School in Rumson
- Haddon Heights Junior-Senior High School (middle and high school)
- Highland Park Middle School
- Highland Park High School
- Millburn Middle School
- Newark Arts High School
- Pinelands Regional Junior High School in Tuckerton
- Bergen Arts and Science Charter High School in Hackensack
- Chartertech High School for the Performing Arts in Somers Point
- Unity Charter School in Morristown
When the law goes into effect this fall, every middle and high school in the state will begin integrating these topics into classrooms, and we’ll be offering every district across New Jersey our curriculum at no cost.
Our youth deserve to see themselves reflected in the classroom, and we know the work we’re doing is going to change the lives of LGBTQ students for the better.
Thank you to our partners at Make It Better for Youth and all of the curriculum writers for working alongside us to develop this historic curriculum, and thank you to the Braitmayer Foundation and PSEG Foundation for funding this critical work.
Most importantly: thank you for making all of this possible.
This is just the beginning. There will be much more to come.
Safe Schools & Community Education Manager
Garden State Equality