Friday, August 3rd was Garden State Equality’s Dialogue Day with Chick-Fil-A. Beginning last Friday and continuing through today, Garden State Equality members have been calling the operators of their nearest Chick-Fil-A restaurants, asking them to meet with Garden State Equality members from the local area. Let’s keep the calls flowing. We want the Chick-Fil-A store operators in New Jersey to see and hear in person how the national owners’ anti-LGBT advocacy hurts real people deeply – families, couples and children who yearn for equality. We ask you to call even if you personally may not be able to join such a meeting.
1. Below please find a list of the 22 Chick-Fil-A stores across New Jersey with the store locations, phone numbers and individual operators’ names. Ask for the operator by name. If he or she isn’t there, you can ask to speak to the senior manager on duty.
2. When you call, say: “I’m a member of Garden State Equality and we want equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. We know the national owners of Chick-Fil-A don’t believe in equality, but we hope you may be fair. We believe in talking and mutual respect. Are you willing to meet a group of us in the next few weeks?”
3. If the owner says no, express your pain, not anger, as you conclude the conversation quickly and respectfully. Respond: “I’m hurt you won’t meet us. I’ll let others know. I wish you well.” Please do not engage in hostility. We advocate equality in love.
4. If the owner says maybe, respond: “Then I’m going to call you back on Monday, is that okay?” Then please do call back on Monday.
5. If the owner says yes, respond: “That’s great. Before we set up a day and time, I’m going to talk to others to see their schedules. I’m going to call you back this week, is that okay?”
6. Then please email Chick@GardenStateEquality.org your name and your phone number, the location below of the Chick-Fil-A you called – that’s important so we know which Chick-Fil-A you’re talking about – and the operator’s response, whether yes, no or maybe. If the operator said yes, we will call you and other Garden State Equality members in your area so we can coordinate schedules to do the meeting.
We understand that activists in other states staged “kiss-ins” at Chick-Fil-A stores last Friday. We respect everyone who engages in the activism that inspires them. At Garden State Equality, we’re aiming for something beyond one day. We aim to start dialogues wherever we can. We want everyone to see the love and commitment of families with LGBT people – indeed, to see all people as real people. That, we believe, is the basis of winning equality everywhere.
Thank you all so much. Immediately below is the list of the 22 Chick-Fil-A stores in New Jersey with their phone numbers and names of the store operators. If the spirit moves you, please consider making a $13.00 donation today to Garden State Equality – that’s what it would cost a couple to eat a typical Chick-Fil-A meal. A $26.00 donation would represent the cost for a family of four. You can donate online at www.GardenStateEquality.org
Audubon, (856) 547-0815, operator Charles Bohs
Cherry Hill, Marlton Pike, (856) 488-9117, operator Dave Curran
Cherry Hill, Haddonfield Road, (856) 488-1600, operator Dave Curran
Delran, (856) 764-0765, operator Sal Miliziano
Deptford, Clements Bridge Road, (856) 853-0425, operator Doug Clark
Deptford, Deptford Mall, (856) 848-7712, operator Christian McGrory
Eatontown, (732) 542-2243, operator Jeff Bassett
Edison, (732) 548-6024, operator Travis Biggs
Egg Harbor, (609) 407-4900, operator Amy McCloy
Galloway, the Stockton College Chick-Fil-A is closed for the summer. Please call the next closest store.
Hamilton, (609) 581-7601, operator John Velarde
Howell, (732) 730-9033, operator Ted Reim
Marlton, (856) 985-4391, operator Brian Bowman
Mount Laurel, Centerton Road, (856) 439-2696, operators Brian Bowman or Bob Mancini
Mount Laurel, (856) 778-1900, Nixon Drive, operator Bob Mancini
Paramus, (201) 967-9494, operator Ken Walsh
Sewell, (856) 464-2277, operator Jeff Price
Sicklerville, (856) 262-0002, operator Burley Clark
Turnersville, (856) 228-2111, operator Burley Clark
Vineland, (856) 327-4414, operator Phil Kelley
Voorhees, (856) 772-2201, operator Zach Johnson
Woodbridge, (732) 634-8981, operator Jim Strole